Objectives of this Tutorial
Generally: To import text into a page and create and apply HTML styles.
Specifically: On completion of this section, you will be able to:
- Import text from a plain text file
- Import an HTML document created in MS Word
- Create and apply HTML styles
You will often need to take existing HTML files and/or text to use in your website. Text can be copied and pasted from a document using the Windows Clipboard or you can import the contents of a plain text (.TXT) file.
You can also open HTML files created in Microsoft Word. Dreamweaver offers you the option to “clean up” any application-specific coding or formatting.
Importing Text and HTML
To open a plain text file
- From the File menu, select Open… (SpeedKey: Ctrl + O)
The Open dialogue box is displayed.
Open dialogue box
- Select the plain text file
- Click Open
A new page is created and the text is displayed on that page.
Plain text as it appears on a new page
To copy and paste text
- Open the original document and select the text to use
- From the Edit menu, select Copy (SpeedKey: Ctrl + C)
- Switch to the web page and click where you want to put the text
- From the Edit menu, select Paste (SpeedKey: Ctrl + V)
The text is pasted. If the text was formatted, any formatting is removed.
To open an HTML document created in MS Word
- From the File menu, select Import then Import Word HTML…
The Select Word HTML File to Import dialogue box is displayed.
- Select the HTML file and click Open
The Clean Up Word HTML dialogue box is displayed.
Clean Up Word HTML dialogue box
- De-select options as appropriate, then click OK