Want to upgrade SQL Express 2008 and add sample database

I’ve installed SQL Exp 2008 and can at least bring up the management console:Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      10.50.1600.1
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      6.1.7600.16385
Microsoft MSXML      2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer      8.0.7600.16385
Microsoft .NET Framework      2.0.50727.4952
Operating System      6.1.7600

running W7 Professional 64-bits my goal is to install the correct Adventureworks or other sample database and be able to run VS 2010 VB examples (which currently produce errors presumably because there is no database yet installed/connected).

1) Please give a URL for the current best/correct sample database for this product/OS?

(I chose the x86 version of the SQL express)

2) Am very interested in installing/upgrading the Advance controls for graphical interface (am downloading the file “SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe” to do this. Is this the correct file? Can I safely install OVER the existing SQL Express 2008 or do I have to remove
ALL its components? It looks like there are about 10 compoenents in the add/remove list – how to know which ones to remove in this case?

3) Shoud I install the adventureworks dbase (or other as you recommend) before upgrading with the above). I ask all this because in the past had no luck getting the right combination of SQL server installs and connection strings to have the VS 2010
samples work completely. Please don’t say “it shouldn’t matter” as there are so, many versions of this s/w floating around I don’t want a bad combination which never ends up working without glitches and have another machine with a bad combination of dbase/engine/connection
string, etc. versions.

Goal: to run a VS2010 dbase sample with SQL server express 2008 (or 2005 if that’s what’s really required) and have it work completely.

hi,1) you currently probably have SQLExpress (probably the “with management tools” edition,