VS2010 Test Agent Config Wizard complains of missing VS2010 v10.0 registry key

Hello-

I’m installing the VS2010 Test Agent on a clean Win7 Enterprise x64 VM. There is no VS2010 IDE SKU installed. During the Agent Configuration Wizard (which runs as Admin by default), no matter if I choose Service or Interactive, set my settings and Apply…
I get the following error:

————

[ok] Validated user name and password

[err] Failed to open the Visual Studio v10.0 registry key. Ensure that test agent is installed that the config utility has the required permissions to access and modify the registry

————LOG————–

E, 2011/01/18, 09:44:43.832, Got Exception : Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.ConfigToolException: Failed to open the Visual Studio v10.0 registry key. Ensure that test agent is installed that the config utility has the required permissions to
access and modify the registry.
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.TestAgentHelper.AddSetting(RegistryKey registryHive, String settingName, String settingValue)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.TestAgentHelper.AddSetting(String settingName, String settingValue)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.ConfigCore.AgentConfiguration.Configure(AgentConfigurationUpdatePack updatePack, DelegateStatusUpdate statusListener)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.AgentConfigUI.AgentConfigUI.ConfigureWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
I, 2011/01/18, 09:44:43.832, Work completed for GetConfiguration() call : got out of turn error
E, 2011/01/18, 09:44:43.833, Failed to open the Visual Studio v10.0 registry key. Ensure that test agent is installed that the config utility has the required permissions to access and modify the registry.

———————–

I’ve searched MSDN articles, the net, this forum and cannot find a reference to this particular issue. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks!

UPDATE : I used ProcessMon to watch what was happening at the moment I clicked “Apply Settings” and found this: 

RegOpenKey     HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftVisualStudio10.0    NAME NOT FOUND   Desired Access: Read/Write

It is indeed not there, but where it DOES exist is  HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeMicrosoftVisualStudio10.0

Filed on connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudioType:BugID:636742Opened:1/18/2011 5:14:35 PMAccess Restriction:Public

Hello r.watts,Thanks for sharing us the information.Have a nice day.Thanks,