SQL Server 2008 R2 Install issue – missing “Installation Configuration” step

A full install of SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 on my Windows 7 laptop resulted in being able to run SSMS, however there was no local server available that I could find. From other posts I used “osql -L” on the command prompt and it showed that there were no local
servers.

Research led me to believe that it could have been due to a bad install, so I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now with the same impact. On this last attempt I actually used a step by step guide on MSDN, and noticed something weird. The guide (and
I think my installation attempts on other PC’s), showed these three steps as part of the install:

Feature Selection Installation Configuration Disk Space Requirements

When installing on my laptop I only have these options:

Feature Selection Disk Space Requirements 

I believe setting the defaults for a local server are handled in the missing step, which could explain why I don’t have a local server configured after install.

I’ve been pulling my hair out on this one…any help is much appreciated.

What Edition are you trying to install?  “Nick Conner” wrote in message news:f58e8159-d828-4637-bce4-f586a3e18c85…A full install of SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 on my Windows 7 laptop resulted in being able to run SSMS, however there was no local server available that I could find. From other posts I used “osql -L” on the command prompt and it showed that there were no local

Hope you are trying to install one of these editions on you Windows 7 machine.:

In the Feature Selection page did you select “Database Engine” as well? I think that would have been missed.Also can you make sure that the install that you are using is not just for client tools?