resgen RG0000: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi,

On Visual Studio 2010 RTM running on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 (both 32 bit), I am experiencing an error building a project with resources. The build is running on a ClearCase Dynamic View, targetting view private directories. The build is targetting
.NET 3.5 SP1

When I run the build, the project fails on the ResGen step (resgen.exe … /compile WorkOrderDetails.resx,objDebugMyNamespace.WorkOrderDetails.resources) with the statement:

WorkOrderDetails.resx : error RG0000: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The full command that we are using is:

“C:Program FilesMicrosoft SDKsWindowsv7.0AbinResGen.exe” /useSourcePath /r:C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727mscorlib.dll /r:”C:Program FilesReference AssembliesMicrosoftFrameworkv3.5System.Core.dll” /r:C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727System.dll
/r:C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727System.Drawing.dll /r:C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727System.Windows.Forms.dll /r:C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727System.XML.dll /r:\ViewDeploy_Release2_MaintenanceCLMTRSNU.ClmTrsNU.ClmTrs.ReportsLibraryTelerik.Reporting.dll
/compile WorkOrderDetails.resx,objDebugNU.ClmTrs.Reports.WorkOrderDetails.resources

I have seen reports of this error where the 64bit factor is a problem, but we don’t have that installed. We’re pure 32bit for now.

I appreciate any help you can provide,

Gary Klesczewski / Northeast Utilities

Hello,Please try to change Target .NET framework from 3.5 to 4.0. To do it, you can navigate to Project

Hello,I am writing to follow up this issue. Please let me know what I can help. Thanks. Regards,Nancy Shao [MSFT]MSDN Subscriber Support

Hi,I have actually the same problem and found out that resgen.exe with unc path in parameter /r cause the problem. As I can see you’re using an unc path (\viewdeploy….) too. When I remove this path it works. So it seems to me that resgen.exe can’t handle