Compatibility problem: an “sql server 2008 R2” db backup cannot be restored to an “sql server 2008”

To verify if the “2008 R2” version can be restored back to a “2008” dbserver I make an experiment:  construct a database on R2 version ( version : 10.50.xxx )  and backup it; then I try to restore the db backup to a “sql server 2008” db-server
( version : 10.0.xxx ) but get failed.

Error message is as shown:

The database was backed up on a server running version 10.50.1600. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version 10.00.2531. Either restore the database on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible
with this server.

Originally I want to upgrade a “2008” server to “2008 r2” , but this problem withdraws me: if I do so , I am afraid all the existing clientuser’s dbs cannot be backed up to themselves if they don’t have “2008 r2” locally:   if a database is backed up
under “2008 r2” environment whereas client user only has “2008” db server, does it mean he cannot restore it anymore?  

So I wonder if there is an approach that helps me to create a “backward-compatible” database; when creating database on wizard there is an option to choose “compatibility level” but I don’t think it meets my requirement..    Anyone can help me
on this ??  

Hi Atlas, If I understand correctly, you want to restore a database created in SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2008.But, be design, we can only restored a backup database to a SQL Server that has version higher than the original SQL Server. So, if the database is  with a small amount of data, we can generate scripts for the objects from SQL Server 2008 R2, create these objects in  SQL Server

Submit and find another way….. and here it is http://sqlbackupandftp.com/  seems its a frequent operation/feature to backup and restore to various revisions. W

Hello Everyone,The reason for the failure is the internal version number of SQL Server 2008 R2 is different from that of an SQL Server 2008 or lower versions.